Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Inane post for the day

Yay - tomorrow is the shortest day of the year.  For some reason I always like the shortest day as it indicates the promise of the gradual improvement in daylight hours from that point forward.  The paradox that it indicates the coolest days of the year are still coming doesn't tend to phase me too much - especially as that cannot be guaranteed whereas the rate of change in the hours of our days is completely definable and measurable.

It is kind of depressing thinking about this though how much of a mathematicians mindset I have - especially in the area of calculus; I am obsessed with the tiny rates of change that make up our lives.  And worst I derive much of my pleasure from watching this infinitesimal changes more than I do the larger changes / events around them.
I can tell you what the current rate of change in our mortgage payments are faster than I could tell you my age.  Scarily I can actually tell you the acceleration (the rate of change in the rate of change) in our mortgage repayments - and I know how much we would have to be repaying per week for this to reach a 1c per repayment acceleration.

So while I am watching the changes in seconds of visible daylight that we start to enjoy again - what are you watching or waiting for?


No comments: